The fourteenth edition of Design Miami/Basel (June 11-16, 2019) will feature forty-two galleries from twelve countries and thirteen Curios, making this the largest Curio program to date.
Aric Chen, Curatorial Director overseeing both the Basel and Miami Beach exhibitions selected this year’s theme, Earth, commenting, “It’s not just design’s role in exploring materials, and ways of making, living, consuming and producing that have taken on new urgency as our impact on the planet becomes all too clear. Design and designers also help to articulate the future, and this year we want to highlight what designers are seeing as human activity continues to alter the very nature of Earth.”
Below are five highlights of the coming fair:
- Design at Large will showcase large-scale works and installations.
- The Swarovski Designers of the Future Award will honor promising young designers or design studios
- Genetic Metropolis at Friedman Benda will present an exhibition of the seminal Italian architect, designer and theoretician Andrea Branzi
- Scandinavian Design at Galleri Feldt will focus on groundbreaking Scandinavian design.
- Gio Ponti at Nilufar Gallery will present vintage and contemporary pieces including the Triennale armchair showcased at the IX Triennale in Milan in 1951.